Buyers are always motivated by personal preferences, lifestyles, and budgets when they’re house hunting but there are a handful of features with one in particular that just about everyone wants. Here’s a rundown of what buyers tend to prioritize, including the number one feature buyers look for in a new home.
What Buyers Look for in a New Home
- Location, location, location. It’s a famous adage for a reason! The location of a home is often one of the most important factors for buyers. Sensibly, most people want to live in neighborhoods that are safe and conveniently located to amenities like shopping, dining, entertainment, and public transportation. Good schools tend to fall into the mix here too.
- Home size. No surprise here–buyers look for homes with enough space to accommodate their families, hobbies, and lifestyles. This can include things like multiple bedrooms and bathrooms, a large kitchen, a backyard or outdoor space, and a garage or storage space.
- Home layout. Many people prefer open floor plans that promote an easy flow between rooms and create a sense of spaciousness. Flexible spaces are popular too (it’s one of the five housing design trends predicted for 2023). People like having room to accommodate home offices, home gyms, and guest rooms.
- Home condition. Fixer-uppers have their appeal, especially for certain buyers, but most prefer homes that are move-in ready and require minimal repairs or renovations. A change of paint here, maybe upgrading flooring there, but major items like roofs and foundations can be a deal breaker for most. Homes that include updated appliances, new flooring or carpeting, and a well-maintained exterior, AKA move-in ready, always command the highest prices and sell the fastest.
- Energy efficiency. Increasingly, buyers are looking for homes that are energy-efficient and environmentally friendly (another design trend for 2023). This can include features such as Energy Star-rated appliances, high-efficiency heating and cooling systems, and insulation and sealing to reduce energy waste.
- Outdoor space. Many buyers also prioritize outdoor space when looking for a home. This can include a backyard or patio for entertaining, a balcony with a view, or proximity to parks and other outdoor amenities.
And drum roll please…the number one feature all buyers covet (but don’t necessarily settle on) is….
- Ceiling height. According to one Zillow survey, high ceilings are the number one feature buyers look for in a new home. Take that with a grain of salt, because it certainly doesn’t trump the above mentioned attributes, but we can all agree there is something incredibly appealing about soaring ceilings. It gives a home a sense of spaciousness, even when the actual square footage is tight.
High ceilings aside, everyone wants a move-in ready home in a great neighborhood with the space and layout to accommodate their needs within their budget. Of course, dream homes can be elusive and compromises are usually part of the package. If you’re looking to buy or sell your next home in Lake Tahoe or Reno, Nevada, you know where to find me!